The Washington Wine Academy, in partnership with the Crystal City BID and Vornado/Charles E. Smith, has been organizing for the past three years the most unique and fun wine and beer tasting event in the Washington DC, NoVA (Northern Virginia) area, the Vintage 1K Wine (or Beer) Walk. This event has been become wildly popular and one of the largest tasting events in the area, with over 3000 attendees over the course of two days.
How it works: the event is spread over two days (weekend). In order to avoid congestion, there are heats every half hour and walkers have to sign up for a specific heat of their choosing. As racers walk the course, they stop at hydration stations along the way. Except that instead of Gatorade or energy drinks, they get to sample selected wines or beers. Racers can also taste food from various Crystal City area Restaurants – all included in their purchase. And, of course, water. You won’t find fans and coaches cheering and motivating from the sidelines, but there’s quite of bit of cheering from teammates. At the finish line racers bodies’ will start to shake – not from exhaustion but from the music played by our DJ!
In the past, we used to organize two events a year, both around January but on different weekends: one weekend it was all wine, and the other all beer. Many of the racers participate in teams (even dressed in custom-made uniforms!); some just friends, old college friends reunions (class reunion, anyone?), sorority sisters, etc. – although we haven’t had yet a Bachelor/ette Party (now that’s a great idea – and you’re welcome!). We have received feedback from these participants that they would be even happier, and be able to bring in more of their friends if there were both wine and beer tastings available during their race because some friends like one or the other.
Make it more fun, you say? Well, that has been arranged. Starting this November, we are changing the format of the 1K Walk. Instead of having a weekend just for wine, and one just for beer, we’ll have the opportunity for people to taste either wine or beer during the same weekend! But wait, there’s more! Our staff at the Washington Wine Academy believe a healthy lifestyle is very important and shouldn’t be limited to just one weekend a year. Therefore, our 1K Wine & Beer Walk will happen now twice a year! We anticipate the schedule each year to be March and November.
The New and Improved 1K Wine & Beer
- Happening twice a year: a weekend in March and one in November
- Racers buy either a 1K Wine Passport or a 1K Beer Passport which will be marked as they try the various wines or beers.
- Racers pick a heat start time from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM.
- Racers will sample a number (around 18) of hand-selected different and unique wines or beer – sorry, no mass produced beers (e.g. ones whose names start with B, or M, etc.). Sampling means Only ONE single taste of each wine or beer (depending on which Passport you purchase). List of wines and beers for each event will vary and will be posted when the tickets go on sale.
- There will be several bonus tastes to try a selection of wines or beers whose name will be kept as a surprise. This added variety will allow you to taste four additional offerings that are different than on the tasting card.
- Instead of featuring obscure, hard to find wines – which defeat the purpose of tasting and not being able to find the wine(s) you like – we selected ones which will be available for sale at our partner, the Crystal City Wine Shop (location at 220 20th Street South) in Arlington, VA.
- There will be several Crystal City area Restaurants offering food tastes options on your Passport as well. A few water stations to keep you hydrated and in tip top shape. All included in your purchase.
- Entire event takes place indoors in the Shops at Crystal City.
- At the Finish Line we will have a live DJ spinning tunes while you taste. Extra wine and beer taste tables will be in this room as well.
Wine & Beer List, Tickets and details about November 2013’s Vintage 1K Wine & Beer Walk
We care deeply about our friends. Please don’t drink and drive. The Shops at Crystal City were selected as the optimal race course because there’s a Metro station there served by the Blue and Yellow METRO Lines.